Ancestors of Francis Marion Matchett
3. John H. Matchett, b. 1801, NC, d. ? 2. Enoch Matchett, b. 6/10/1836, Irwin, GA, d. 7/10/1904, Putnam, FL | 3. Lydia surname?, b. 1806, Irwin, GA 1. Francis Marion Matchett, b. 10/24/1863, d. 3/19/1912 | 5. ? Strickland, b. abt. 1732, d. ? | 4. Stephen D. Strickland, b. 1797/98, NC, d. 7/20/67, Taylor, FL | | 5. ? | 3. William W. Strickland, b. 1834, GA, d. ? | | | 5. Martin Sr. Shaw, b. abt. 1773, d. ? | | 4. Rachel S. Chauncey, b. 1799, SC m. 1/24/1824, Tatnall, GA, | | | d. 9/1885, Lowndes, GA | | 5. ? 2. Lucretia J. Strickland, b. abt. 1840, Marion, FL, m. 7/2/1861, Marion, FL, | d. 1917 3. Mary Ann Johnson, b. abt. 1838, Marion, FL, d. ?Notes: 1. Source: Genealogy posted by Betty Gray at FamilySearchInternet (search for "Enoch Matchett").
2. Brothers and sisters of Lucretia's father, William, were:
James, Elias, Lucy, Frances M., Easter, Leroy, John W., and Rachel P.
3. Rachel Chauncey's last name doesn't match her father's (Shaw); perhaps she married before marrying Stephen Strickland.
Descendants of John H. Matchett
1 John Holden Matchett, b. 1801, NC, d. ? + Lydia surname?, b. 1806, Irwin, GA 2 Wells Matchett, b. 1826, Irwin, GA 2 John W. Matchett, b. 1828, Irwin, GA 2 Elizabeth Matchett, b. 1830, Irwin, GA 2 Lydia Matchett, b. 1834, Irwin, GA 2 Anna Matchett, b. 1835, Irwin, GA 2 Enoch Matchett, b. 6/10/1836, Irwin, GA, d. 7/10/1904, Putnam, FL + Lucretia Jane Strickland, b. abt. 1840, Marion, FL, m. 7/2/1861, d. 1917 3 Ann (Annie) Matchett, b. abt. 1862, Marion, FL + ? Granger (no children?) 3 Francis Marion Matchett, 10/23/1863, Marion, FL, d. 3/19/1912, Putnam, FL + Cherry Ann Alice Grantham, b. 11/19/66, m. 11/25/1892, d. 3/10/32 4 Inzie Matchett, b. 1/5/1896, d. ? + Joe Morrow 5 Mervin Morrow + Geneva 5 Aileen Morrow + Homer Sloan 5 Arthur Morrow + Bernice Rivenbark 5 Jackson Morrow + Ileen surname? 5 Oma Lee Morrow + James Gray 6 Carolyn Gray 6 Betty Gray 5 Hilliard Morrow + Carolyn Bunce 4 Elzie Matchett, b. 6/11/1898, d. 12/19/1976 + Joseph Day 5 Robert Day + Nita Walker 5 Nellie Day + 1) Charles Cumbie + 2) Ben Cumbie 4 Shelley Matchett, b. 5/6/1900, d. 7/11/1973 + Vola Morrow (no children) 4 Marion Marshall Matchett, b. 12/13/1903, d. 10/13/1973 + Ruth Matchett 5 Marshall Wayne Matchett, b. 1936 + Julia Novesky 6 Glenn Matthew Matchett 6 Sandra Anne Matchett 6 Peter Marshall Matchett 5 Barbara Jean Matchett, b. 1938 + Donald Pearson 6 Kimberly Pearson 6 Jeff Pearson 6 Amy Pearson 6 Heidi Pearson 4 Frances Alice Matchett, b. 3/22/1908, d. 6/27/1990 + Gordon Wadsworth, Sr. 5 Walden Wadsworth 5 Thomas (Buddy) Wadsworth + Myra suurname? 6 Cherry Wadsworth + ? Platt 3 Mildred Matchett, b. abt. 1864, Marion, FL + John Conway 4 Jimmy Conway 4 Ellen Conway 4 Harvey Conway 4 more? 3 Joseph Matchett, b. 8/13/1864, Marion, FL, d. 1/28/1936 + Ellen Baxley 4 Grover Matchett + ? 5 Buddy Matchett 5 Winifred Matchett 5 more? 4 Calvin Matchett 4 Ernest Matchett 4 Floyd Matchett + ? 5 daughter 4 Alma Matchett + Hugh Clark 4 Jennie Matchett + Stanley Haley 5 Stanley Haley (Jr?) 3 Burton Matchett, b. abt. 1866, Marion, FL + Mamie Johnston (no children) 3 Minnie Matchett, b. abt. 1868, Marion, FL + Joe Miller 4 Enzie Miller 4 Retsae Miller ("Retsae" is "Easter" spelled backwards) 3 John Wells Matchett, b. 4/7/1868, Marion, FL, d. 12/16/1869, Putnam, FL 3 Andrew Jackson Matchett, b. 1873, Marion, FL, d. 1904, Putnam, FL + Ada L. Brinson, b. ?, d. ? 4 Herbert Matchett(e) + Eva surname? 5 Marilyn 4 George Earle Matchett + Virginia surname? 5 Betty Anne Matchett 5 George Earle (Buddy) Matchett, Jr 3 Alice Matchett, b. 1844, d. 1895 + ? Jameson (no children?) 2 Martha Matchett, b. 1838, Irwin, GA, d. ? 2 Levi Matchett, b. 1839, Irwin, GA, d. ? 2 Francis Marion Matchett, b. 8/22/1848, d. after 3/1914 -----------Notes:
1. Sources: 1) Notes taken from Aunt Inzie (abt. 1948) relating what she knew about her ancestors, uncles, and aunts; 2) my mother's written list of my father's family (abt. 1970); 3) online Matchett genealogy posted by Betty Gray.
2. Alice Matchett: She is a mystery. Notes I took from Aunt Inzie show that Enoch had a daughter named Alice, who married someone with the last name of Jamison. An Alice Matchett is buried in the Cousintown/Roscola Cemetery. I read her gravestone as b. Sep 9, 1894, d. Nov 4, 1895. However, both online versions of transcriptions from that cemetery show Alice's birthdate as Nov 4, 1844. The "4" and "9" are apparently difficult to distinguish. The Alice Matchett grave is near Ernest's grave, so I had assumed that this Alice died as a baby and possibly was a sister of Ernest (i.e., a baby daughter of Joseph). If she was born in 1844, then she would've been 51 y/o at time of death. Her gravestone shows her last name as Matchett. Did she never marry? Another possibility is that she was the wife of a Matchett.
3. Francis Marion Matchett: Betty Gray told me that Enoch had a brother named Francis Marion Matchett. She believes this is the Francis Marion that is the ancestor of Kay Matchett Watson (a GENFORUM member). Betty's online Matchett genealogy does not show a Francis Marion, brother of Enoch. The 1850 census for Marion Co., Fl, which lists John H. Matchett's family, shows a 4-y/o male named Marion as the youngest member of the family.
4. The DOB shown in the 1850 Marion Co. census for members of John H. Matchett's family match the DOB's shown above except for the following: Lydia (1836), Enoch (1838), Martha (1840), Levi (1841), and Marion (1846).
Descendants of Edward and Mary Matchett of IrelandThe following extension of the Matchett line was provided by George Matchette III in an e-mail, dated 1/14/2005.
1 Edward Matchett, b. ?, County Down (Belfast area), Ireland, d. ? + Mary surname? 2 Edward Matchett, b. 1730, d. 1763 2 John Matchett, b. 1739, d. 1774? + ? 3 William Matchett, b. ?, d. ? + Anne Wells, b. ?, m. 1796, d. ? 4 John H. (Holden) Matchett, b. 1801, NC, d. ? + Lydia Cooke, b. 1806, d. ? (see descendants of John H. Matchett) 4 Wells Matchett, b. ?, d. ? 4 Jacob Matchett, b. ?, d. ? 4 William Matchett, b. ?, d. ? 3 other children? 2 Thomas Matchett, b. ?, d. ? 2 Elizabeth, b. 1728, d. 1786 + ? Herring 2 Henry, b. ?, d. 1816, Houston, TX 2 Eleanor, b. ?, d. ?Notes from George's e-mail:
Edward and Mary's family came from County Down (Belfast area), Ireland, to Duplin Co., NC; from there they moved to Irwin Co., GA, and then to Marion Co., FL.
A Texas Matchett claims that the elder Edward died on the voyage to the U.S.
John (b. 1739) owned 100 acres on the west side of Cape Fear, NC, in 1778.
Edward (b. 1730) and his descendants went to Holmes Co., MS, where some still live.
One of the Edwards (father or son?) died in NC by running his horse into a tree.
I have some handwritten notes that state the following, which closely matches George's tree:
John Matchett (b. 1745, d. bef. 1830) had sons Wells Matchett (b. 1790) and William Matchett (b. 1775 or 1780, NC). John's family moved to Georgia before 1830.
William Matchett married Anne Nancy Wells, 1796, and they had four children: Wells Matchett (b. 1800), John Holden Matchett (b. 1801, NC), Jacob Matchett, and William Matchett.
Wells Matchet had a daughter Elizabeth, b. 1831.
John H. Matchett married Lydia Wells (b. 1806) in Irwin Co., GA
Not sure what the sources were for the above notes, perhaps census information plus information from the book Irwin County Marriages.
The book, History of Irwin County, mentions the following Matchetts in Irwin County, GA, in the 1830-1840 timeframe: Wells, William, Jacob, and Henry.
Posted by Wayne Matchett, 12 Jan 05